What to expect at your ignition interlock installation appointment
When getting an ignition interlock device installed, it’s a must to have your IID installed by a certified professional. They are trained and certified in installing interlock devices, and will show you how the device works. Intoxalock has more than 4,200 locations, more than any other provider on the market. Intoxalock is the No. 1 interlock brand, so you can be sure that every installer in the Intoxalock network is certified and that our device meets your state’s requirements. Find an interlock device installer near you at www.intoxalock.com/locations/
You’ve Made Your Interlock Installation Appointment - What Next?
Getting your ignition interlock installed is an easy process. One thing you will want to plan for is a ride. If your driving privileges are revoked, you’ll need to ask a friend for a ride. The installation should take approximately one to two hours, depending on the make, model, and year of your vehicle. You can drop your car off and come back when it’s ready, or wait on site. (Please note, due to COVID-19, waiting on site may not be an option. Check when making your appointment.) Download our guide: 8 Things to ask your Ignition Interlock Installer
What to Expect During Your Ignition Interlock Installation Appointment
Once you’re at your appointment, the technicians will get to work installing the device. Once they do, they will help with the following:
- Learn how to use the interlock device.Intoxalock devices all feature a simple one-button system, easy-to-read display, and a straightforward blow pattern. At each location, you’ll find an Intoxalock kiosk to access training and resources while your device is being installed. Have more questions? Your Intoxalock technician can answer any of your questions.
- Provide certificate of installation.. In many states, DUI offenders are required to submit proof that they have had their interlock device installed in order to regain driving privileges. Intoxalock takes care of this for you by providing a certificate of installation you can submit to your monitoring authority, typically the Court, Department of Motor Vehicles, or Department of Transportation. Intoxalock can also electronically notify the state that you have had the device installed.
- Provide calibration and maintenance information. In addition to your installation appointment, you will return to the Intoxalock service center for regular calibrations of your ignition interlock device. Car breathalyzer devices require routine maintenance to ensure they function properly. You will need to have the device calibrated every 30 to 90 days, depending on your state’s requirements.
- Supply extra mouthpieces.Check before you go, as not every service center has extras on hand. Intoxalock sells extra mouthpieces suitable for our ignition interlock devices on Amazon if you need to have them delivered. In general, you might want to keep extra mouthpieces in your glove box. You can put a clean mouthpiece on your device after calibrations or every 30 days to ensure it is sanitary. In addition, you can supply a clean mouthpiece if somebody else needs to use your vehicle while your ignition interlock device is installed. This is especially important during the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as cold and flu season.
- Explain what happens if your device locks out.. Lock-outs happen when you fail a breath alcohol content (BrAC) test. A lock out is a state-mandated function that prevents you from starting your vehicle if your BrAC is above the legal BAC limit. The installation technician will explain what you have to do in this situation according to your state’s laws. Some states require you to wait to pass the test, while others have different processes.
How Does Mobile Ignition Interlock Device Installation Work?
There are some states that allow for mobile installation of ignition interlocks. This allows you to stay home while Intoxalock comes to you, which can be helpful if your driving privileges are revoked. If you are interested in a mobile installation, contact Intoxalock to see if this is an option in your state.
Intoxalock Makes Interlock Installation Easy
Intoxalock understands that being charged with a drunk driving offense is time consuming and tricky. We make installation easy. For more information about an Intoxalock ignition interlock device, call our state specialists at 833-623-0200.