A breath alcohol ignition interlock device, or BAIID, is a portable device that can test your breath alcohol content (BrAC). From there, the device estimates your blood alcohol content. In many cases, a BAIID is required to be installed following an alcohol-related driving offense.
BAIIDs help with driver safety because, once installed, they ensure the following:
- No drunk driving — BAIIDs require users to test their BrAC before they can start their car. If they have any alcohol in their system, they won’t be able to start their car.
- No skipping a test — the devices also require retesting during every trip, so drivers cannot have a sober friend take the breath test for them.
If the BAIID was required by the court following an offense, all failures are reported to the proper authority. Voluntary BAIIDs are available as well, for anyone who wants to use one as a sobriety aid or safety tool.
Do I Need a BAIID for My Vehicle?
There are many reasons to get a BAIID for your vehicle. If you’re unsure if you need one, check with your attorney or court official. In general, you need a BAIID if:
- The court has required you install a BAIID following a DUI offense
- The court or licensing body requires you install a BAIID to regain limited driving privileges
- You’ve decided on your own to install a BAIID for safety reasons
With the first two options, you will have criteria to follow and must install a BAIID from an approved provider. Your state will have a list of approved providers available, and they will know the criteria for your state. An Intoxalock state specialist can also help walk you through the process.
How Do I Install a BAIID on My Vehicle?
Once you have the next steps from the court or law enforcement, you can start the process of getting your BAIID installed.
- Find a convenient location — Intoxalock has 4,000 locations nationwide, more than any other provider, and our state specialist can help find one near you. You’ll be returning every 30-90 days for calibration, so make sure the location you choose is easy to get to.
- Make your appointment — a state specialist can also help with this, or you can do so on your own.
- Visit your installation center — at Intoxalock, expert certified technicians will install your device and review how it works with you. They’ll make sure you understand it all before you drive off.
- Get your certificate of installation — many court systems require this. Intoxalock provides the certificate for your records
Once your BAIID is installed, you’ll get used to testing your breath alcohol content before you drive. If you get your BAIID through Intoxalock, you can contact Customer Service at any time for help. Our state specialists will answer your questions and help you understand the process.