The Complete Guide to Your DUI Journey
A DUI arrest is just the first event in a challenging life experience. Many are deeply distressed after being arrested for DUI, and anxious about what to do to regain some sense of normalcy in their life. If you or a loved one have recently been arrested for DUI and are awaiting your court date or sentencing, you need answers. Consumer Safety Technology and our family of brands, including Intoxalock, the #1 interlock brand in the US, are here to help.
Our goal is to provide support and assistance every step of the way as you navigate court requirements and tackle new challenges post-DUI. Below is an outline of some of the steps you may be taking, and how we can offer help.
Arrested for DUI, OWI, OVI, or DWI: What Now?
The immediate aftermath of a drunk driving offense is stressful. As you attempt to determine next steps, these immediate needs should be taken care of first, and CST can help.
- Finding an attorney: If you are able to hire an attorney, it could be beneficial to you. An attorney will represent your interests in court and help you understand any legal obligations you have as a result of your offense. If you are struggling to find an attorney, Intoxalock partners with many attorneys across the country. These attorneys are reliable and experienced in DUI cases. We can help you connect with an attorney in your area if you are unsure where to go.
- Scheduling a substance use assessment: A professional assessment from a qualified evaluator can help your court case. US Court Assessments is our assessment partner, and they offer convenient assessments that can be conducted remotely. You can be assessed by a neutral third-party, who will prepare a detailed report and send it via email so you can submit it in court. If their findings indicate you have been abusing alcohol, you can begin treatment or otherwise start addressing the issue prior to your court date, which may help your case. US Court Assessments offers rush assessments to meet any court deadline, and a full money-back guarantee if your assessment is not accepted in court.
- Obtaining insurance coverage that meets state criteria: Following a DUI conviction, you will likely need to purchase additional insurance. Your insurance carrier may decline to cover you, if they feel you are too high-risk due to your offense. Many states also require an SR-22 or FR-44 certificate of coverage as a requirement for regaining driving privileges. Our insurance partner, Breathe Easy, is here to help. They work with a variety of insurance providers who cover high-risk drivers, and can help you find an affordable plan that meets your needs. Once you select your plan, Breathe Easy can have it filed with the state within 15 minutes. This will help you remain compliant with state law, and also fulfill criteria for getting your driving privileges back.
Post-Sentencing for DWI, DUI, OVI, and OWI: Interlock Installation, Treatment, Expungement
Once you know the penalties for your offense, you will need to take action. It’s likely you will need to install an interlock, and you may be required to seek treatment. Our partners can help you every step of the way.
- Installing an ignition interlock device: Intoxalock is the #1 interlock brand in the country. Our devices are available in all 50 states, and are approved providers in 46 states. State specialists are available 24/7 to answer questions and help you through the interlock process. Intoxalock has more locations than any other provider, making it convenient to visit for installation and calibration. Best of all, our devices are some of the easiest to use, with a one-button operating system and simple breath pattern. When you’re ready to install, Intoxalock can help you make an appointment and ensure you bring everything you need. At your appointment, technicians will show you how the device works and provide your certificate of installation. Once installed, Intoxalock is still available 24/7 for support and questions.
- Getting treatment for alcohol abuse: If your DUI was a result of substance abuse, you may choose to seek treatment on your own. In other cases, the state may mandate treatment or alcohol education classes. Intoxalock partners with a variety of treatment centers we recommend, and if you are having trouble finding one, we can help.
- Pursuing expungement: Many states offer expungement options several years after a DUI offense. Every state is different, but our partner Restorify can help you determine if you are eligible, and assist you in submitting for expungement. With expungement, your public record is wiped clean and your DUI offense will no longer show up on background checks. For many, expungement is the final step in rebuilding their life following a DUI. Restorify’s self-service tool lets you check eligibility for free. If you are eligible, the tool will then guide you through the process, ensuring you have all the correct paperwork to submit. Restorify will also take care of submitting your expungement case to the court for you.
With every step, CST and our family of brands are here to support you. If you are looking to get started on your post-DUI journey, and aren’t sure where to start, please reach out. We can help determine where you are in the process and what you need to do next.