Using an ignition interlock device in cold weather
There are many best practices to follow that can ensure your ignition interlock device remains reliable and easy to use in winter temperatures. Preventative maintenance on your vehicle paired with the correct care for your interlock device will ensure that you have a seamless transition into cold weather months.
- Get your car battery checked before the temperature drops. Cold weather is particularly draining on batteries. Visit your local service center to have the health of your battery checked before cold weather hits. Intoxalock now has a battery life indicator on all units to let you know if your car battery is low.
- Put your ignition interlock device into sleep mode when you will be away from your vehicle for more than a few hours at a time. Intoxalock is the only interlock company to offer this option. Learn more about activating sleep mode. (Sleep Mode is not available to customers in NY, MA and WI.)
- Purchase an inexpensive cover for you ignition interlock device. Intoxalock provides cold weather sleeves for $9.99 that help keep your device warm. Log in to MyAccount to order your cold weather sleeve.
- Do not store your ignition interlock device on the floor of your vehicle where it is more likely to come in contact with snow, ice, water and dirt.
- Blow into your mouthpiece 3-4 times before pressing the button to turn on your ignition interlock device. This will help warm the unit up quicker.
- Drive your vehicle often. Driving your vehicle regularly ensures that your battery will remain charged, even in winter weather.
- Do not leave your vehicle running unattended, even in cold weather. State requirements mandate retests to be submitted at random intervals any time after your vehicle is started, even if it’s in park.
Using an ignition interlock device in colder climates, much like caring for your vehicle, takes some extra care. If you follow the steps listed above, your device will continue to keep you safe on the roads, even through the winter months. Call us today to schedule your installation.