As part of a drunk driving offense, you might be required to install an ignition interlock device (IID), or car breathalyzer, to regain your driving privileges. All 50 states have an ignition interlock requirement for some drivers who are convicted of a drunk driving offense, and 33 states and Washington, D.C., require all offenders to install an IID.
Most people are often overwhelmed at the many obligations after a conviction, but most want to figure out how they can get back on the road as soon as possible. Let’s walk through the life cycle of an IID. You can download our handy infographic: Timeline of an IID.
- Call Intoxalock to learn your state requirements. Each state has its own ignition interlock law that determines when to install the device, how long it will need to be installed, what type of device you need, what monitoring authority will oversee your IID requirement (probation officer, court, DMV, DOT, etc.) and more. Because each state varies, Intoxalock staffs state specialists who know exactly what you need to get your license back.
- Complete and submit state paperwork. Many states require you to submit paperwork as part of the IID process. Some of these forms include applications to install a device or for a temporary or occupational license, SR-22 certification and more. Many states require you to pay an administrative fee when you submit paperwork. Learn more about your state’s requirements.
- Schedule an installation appointment. Intoxalock works with you to find a location closest to you. With over 2,600 installation locations nationwide, we have more trained installers than any other ignition interlock provider. Our customer support not only finds a service center close to you, but they also schedule an appointment that best fits into your schedule. In states that have approved mobile installers, we have technicians who will travel to your work or home to install your device. View installation center locations near you.
- Download the Intoxalock Mobile® app. The Intoxalock Mobile app* provides an easy way to access and manage your account from anywhere. Available for free in both the Apple Store and Google Play, this app lets you sign your lease, pay your bill, schedule a calibration, track your account status, request services, receive reminder alerts and more. You’ll also be able to chat with customer support through the app to answer any questions you have about your account or device.
- Install your device. Intoxalock service centers are held to high standards and can safely install devices in even the most complicated vehicles. You can either drop off your vehicle or wait for it while the interlock is installed. You can expect the installation to take about two hours. The installer will then teach you how to use the device and answer your questions. At this time, you will also receive your Certificate of Installation — which your monitoring authority will require to ensure compliancy — and a comprehensive pocket guide with instructions about your device and how to access your Intoxalock account.
- Routine calibrations. While you have the device, you will need to have it calibrated every 30 to 180 days, depending where you live. Calibrations are required by every state and ensure the device accurately reads and records your breath alcohol concentration with every sample you provide. Learn more about calibration.
- Schedule your device removal. After you’ve successfully completed your IID requirement, you’ll be allowed to remove the device and reinstate your license. The process for removal varies from state to state, with some requiring you to receive approval from your monitoring authority, some requiring to call your DOT for an eligibility date or more. Our customer support can help you understand what your state requires to remove the device.
Intoxalock provides 24/7 customer support to help you navigate the IID process, and we’re here to help you with any problems that might arise when you have the device installed. Call (833) 623-0200 to get started with a device.
*The Intoxalock Mobile App® is patent pending, all software copyrighted 2019 by Intoxalock.