Home » blog

Intoxalock Blogs and Articles

Learn more about Ignition interlock devices in your state

Car Insurance Requirements After a DUI

Car Insurance Requirements After a DUI

Upon a DUI or other similar drunk driving conviction, you will have to take several steps to regain your driving privileges. Depending on the state of your arrest, you may be required to obtain insurance coverage via a high-risk policy. Maintaining high-risk car insurance after a DUI typically requires proof that you carry the minimum amount of insurance required (sometimes called an SR-22 certificate) and installing an ignition interlock device in your vehicle.

To drive in all 50 states, you must carry automobile insurance if you own or operate a vehicle. This insurance after a DUI helps protect you and other drivers in case of an accident. After a conviction, your insurance company considers you a high-risk driver because drinking and driving is high-risk behavior, and as a result will cost more in insurance premiums.

In most states, if you’re considered a high-risk driver as a result of the following situations:

  • DUI, DWI, OWI, OUI, OVI or other drunk driving conviction
  • Serious moving violation
  • At-fault accident while driving without insurance
  • Driving with a revoked or suspended license
  • Too many traffic tickets in a short period of time
  • Repeat traffic offenses in a short period of time

Almost every state requires you to obtain an SR-22, FR-44, or similar type of certificate if you’ve been charged with a drunk driving conviction. Most people think this is a form of insurance. However, it’s a certificate you receive from your insurance company that proves you carry the minimum amount of insurance required by your state.

If you have a license suspension, you will need your insurance company to file the insurance certificate with your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles to reinstate your license or issue you a restricted license, depending on where you live.

After a DUI, you might be able to apply for a restricted license if your driver’s license is suspended or revoked. Many states issue a restricted license — sometimes called a hardship license or temporary restricted license — if you meet certain conditions like installing an ignition interlock device. The device allows you to continue driving during a license suspension as it prevents you from being able to start your vehicle if you have been consuming alcohol.

If you’re ordered to have an IID, you will need to obtain an SR-22 (or similar) insurance certificate if required in your state. Some states require proof of a high risk insurance coverage in order to install an ignition interlock device. Other states do not require you to show proof of your SR-22 (or similar policy) to install the IID. However, you can break the law in several ways after a DUI conviction:

  • Failing to install an ignition interlock device when ordered by the court to reinstate driving privileges
  • Failing to have your insurance company issue an SR-22, FR-44, or other similar certification (if required by your state)
  • Driving without insurance

Some people hire DUI attorneys to help navigate a DUI arrest. They can help walk you through your requirements to ensure you’re complying with the court and the state requirements for insurance.

If you need help with an ignition interlock device or have questions about your state’s law, contact an Intoxalock customer support representative at (833) 623-0200. Our reps are available 24/7 to help answer all your IID questions and help find a convenient Intoxalock location near you. We can also help you get answers to your questions regarding SR-22 or similar insurance types. Just give us a call! 


Category: Drunk Driving

Intoxalock ignition interlock logo
Read more posts by Intoxalock
Need an ignition interlock installed?
We can help.
    Solicitud de contacto en Español

By clicking the button below, you consent to Consumer Safety Technology, LLC and its affiliate Breathe Easy Insurance Solutions, LLC calling and texting at the telephone number provided, without regard to the time of day, to encourage the purchase or lease of DUI-related products and services, including through the use of automated technology, artificial voice and/or pre-recorded means. Consent is not a condition of purchase.