Home » blog

Adding or Transferring an Ignition Interlock in a Newly Purchased Car

Adding or Transferring an Ignition Interlock in a Newly Purchased Car

If you have a DUI, DWI, or OWI conviction, you may have had a suspended license for a period of time. Some people don’t have a car or other vehicle for the duration of their license suspension for a variety of reasons. If you are among this group and now have purchased a brand new or new-to-you vehicle but still need to arrange for installing your ignition interlock device to meet your state ignition interlock requirements, the tips outlined in this article will be helpful to you. Additionally, if you have an IID in your vehicle already but have purchased a new car and need to have your IID switched out of your previous vehicle, we’ve also included the steps for this process.

Installing an Ignition Interlock for the First Time

If you did not have a vehicle when you were convicted of drunk driving and purchase a car when you are required to have an ignition interlock, you will need to have one installed. Many states will not allow a DUI offender to bypass the IID requirement, making it so you have to install a breathalyzer when you do purchase a car.

Start the IID Process

You can fill out this application form to begin the IID installation process. After you submit the form, one of our customer support specialists will follow up with you, providing a quote and other state-specific information and helping you set up an installation appointment. Because we have thousands of certified installers nationwide, we can help find a location convenient to you.

Driver's License 

You will need to obtain your IID-restricted driver’s license from your monitoring authority or ask a family member or friend who has a valid driver’s license to drive the car to the installer. Once both vehicles have arrived, the installer will switch the breathalyzer from one car to the other. If you trade in your vehicle, you will need to arrange getting the device from your current vehicle before transferring it the new one.

Avoid Uncessary Risk

If you drive your new car to the installer without permission from your monitoring authority, you face many risks, including an extended IID requirement, license suspension or revocation and fines.

Requesting a Transfer

If you have an ignition interlock device (IID) installed in your car and purchase a different vehicle, you will need to transfer the device. As part of your IID requirement, you can drive only if there’s a device installed in the vehicle. You’ll need to work with Intoxalock to ensure the transfer is completed successfully and in compliance with your state monitoring authority.

After you purchase your new or new-to-you vehicle, the first thing you need to do is call Intoxalock. This call initiates your ignition interlock device transfer. When you call our customer support, please provide the following information:

  • Driver’s license number
  • Vehicle information such as year, make model and VIN
  • License plate number, county of registration, name of registered owner
  • Requirement details such how length you’re required to have the IID and your monitoring authority: DMV, DOT, court, probation officer, etc.
  • Copy of your court order (if you have one)

We’ll help you set up an appointment where your ignition interlock will be switched from your current vehicle to the one you have purchased. Our customer support will also help determine if you need to gain authorization from your monitoring authority, which depends on your state. We also take steps to ensure a smooth transfer, confirming the device is set up in accordance with your requirement.

About Intoxalock

Learn more about the costs of an ignition interlock device and three reasons why you should choose Intoxalock as your car breathalyzer provider. For help understanding how to get a quote, install a device or more, call our 24/7 customer support at (833) 623-0200.

Intoxalock ignition interlock logo
Read more posts by Intoxalock
Need an ignition interlock installed?
We can help.
    Solicitud de contacto en Español